ACEs Recovery Toolkit for Children and Young People
The local teams at Calan DVS run a number of children’s support programmes including the Children and Young People Domestic Abuse Recovery Toolkit. This is an 8-week programme aimed at any young person who has witnessed or experienced domestic abuse and feel able to take part in a group.
- The aim of the Calan DVS’ Children and Young People Domestic Abuse Recovery Toolkit is to help children and young people to become experts in their own recovery, allowing them to understand that they are not responsible for what has happened to them.
- To allow children and young people to understand that they are not blamed for actions or decisions taken at the time of domestic abuse and to help them come to terms with their experiences
- To help children and young people come to terms with their experiences
- To help children and young people develop a positive lifestyle and coping strategies
- To help children and young people acknowledge that coping strategies used under duress may not be helpful in their recovery and development of a new life free from abuse
- Topics covered
- How abuse affects our thinking
- Self-esteem – what is it?
- Who’s my family?
- Talking positive
- Ways to handle difficult feelings
- Healthy relationships and trust
Last year Calan delivered 22 Children and Recovery Toolkit programmes across our delivery areas.